Congratulations on your admission to the UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove! Whether you are just starting your career or returning to school to build on years of job experience, UMBC-Shady Grove’s Professional Graduate Programs can help you grow and advance your career at all levels.
Welcome to our community of inquiring minds! These resources will help you arrive prepared on your first day of class.
For additional graduate student resources and announcements, see the USG Graduate Student Resources.
Accept Your Admission
- To register for classes you have to create a myUMBC account.
- After you have created your account, indicate whether you will be accepting the offer of admission by logging in to your myUMBC account and clicking “Accept or Decline Admission”.
RSVP for Orientation
Decide on Your Course Schedule
- Download and review your program’s Academic Planning Form:
- For questions about program requirements, registration, your schedule, or how to connect with your advisor, please contact email@example.com.
Enroll in Your Courses
Follow the instructions on the UMBC Wiki for information on how to register for courses.
Note: Registration for new students opens on June 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester. Please view the Office of Professional Programs Frequently Asked Questions if you having trouble registering.
Take the Academic Integrity Tutorial in Blackboard
New students are enrolled in the tutorial prior to the beginning of the semester, after registering for classes. The academic integrity tutorial must be completed by September 15 (Fall) or February 15 (Spring) during your first semester.
Health and Wellness Checklist
- Visit the Retriever Integrated Health (RIH) website and complete all Graduate Student Requirements.
- RIH guidance on all required and recommended immunizations is available on their site.
- Visit UMBC’s Retriever Ready: COVID-19 Response and USG Onward: Campus Updates Amid COVID-19 for up-to-date information about vaccination requirements and other policies related to COVID-19.
- Students enrolled in online programs may not be required to complete health forms. Contact RIH for information.
Universities at Shady Grove Parking
Students at the Shady Grove campus have the option to purchase a parking permit or to pay for hourly parking. More information can be found at USG Student Parking.
Order Your Textbooks
Shady Grove students can purchase textbooks from UMBC’s Bookstore. The Bookstore’s online store links your courses with your assigned books for easy purchasing.
Get to Know the Campus
View the Universities at Shady Grove interactive map to explore all that the campus has to offer. The campus is conveniently located nearby to the highway and to restaurants, grocery stores, and more. The campus also provides dining options and recreation centers.
Campus ID and Logon ID
- You are required to have a USG ID card, which will give you easy access to a variety of campus services. Schedule an appointment to obtain your ID. You will also need a Logon ID to access many services. Please review the USG Logon ID handout for instructions on claiming your USG Logon ID.
- UMBC-Shady Grove students can also obtain a UMBC ID from the Campus Card office on the Catonsville campus. Before visiting, please review the UMBC Campus Card requirements.
Sign Up for Campus Alerts
Register your phone number and/or email in the Campus Alert system to receive updates about emergency situations and campus closures as soon as they are available.
USG New Student Resources
For important information about USG Services Centers, resources, and engagement opportunities, visit the USG New Student Resources Page.
Student Business Services
UMBC’s Student Business Services is your resource for billing, payment plans, and more. Your bill or payment plan’s due date(s) will depend on when you register for courses, and may not be available immediately upon registering.
Regional Graduate Tuition Rate
UMBC is focused on accessibility and affordability. In participating programs, Maryland tuition rates apply to students living in DC, Delaware, and select counties in Virginia and Pennsylvania. This Regional Graduate Tuition Rate applies only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
The cost of a Graduate education will depend on your location, enrollment, and more. Visit your program’s Costs page or use the cost calculator to plan your finances ahead of time.
Scholarships and Funding
- Visit the Scholarships and Funding page to discover the opportunities and resources available to you including the UMBC Alumni Scholarship. Graduate assistantships may be available from other UMBC departments; we encourage you to visit Handshake to search for openings.
- Limited scholarships just for students studying at Shady Grove are available through USG. Visit the USG Scholarships page to learn more.
Veterans & Military Families
For questions about Veteran benefits, please visit UMBC Veteran Services.
Below you will find some Frequently Asked Questions asked by new UMBC-Shady Grove students! If you have additional questions about registering, activating your myUMBC account, billing, and campus technology, please visit the UMBC Professional Programs Admitted Student FAQs.
If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s the difference between a campus logon ID and a campus ID?
A USG Logon ID is your username and password that will allow you to access computers, library workstations, computer classrooms, the secure wireless network, print 4 pay, and “library night owls” at USG.
A USG ID Card is the physical card that will allow you to access services such as the Macklin Center for Leadership & Communication, the Center for Scholarships, the Center for Career Development, and the Center for Counseling & Well-being. Additionally, your card will grant you access to a myriad of Division of IT services and campus resources such as the Campus Recreation Center.
Am I required to have a USG ID card and a UMBC ID Card? Is one preferred over the other?
You are required to have a USG ID card as a UMBC-SG student. Obtaining a UMBC ID card is optional. Please view the Shady Grove Campus Essentials section on this page under Getting Started to learn how to obtain your USG ID card.
Can I take courses at the Catonsville campus?
Generally, yes, you can take classes at either campus. However, you should confirm with your graduate program director about needing permission to enroll in courses at the Catonsville campus.