Faculty Resources

Faculty Resources

Top Teaching Books

  • Ambrose, S, et al. (2010) How learning works: Seven research-based principles for smart teaching. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
  • Angelo, T. A., & Cross, K. P. (1993). Classroom assessment techniques: A handbook for college teachers (Second Ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
  • Bain, K. (2004). What the best college teachers do. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
  • Barkley, E. (2009) Student engagement techniques: A handbook for college faculty. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
  • Bean, J. C. (2011). Engaging ideas: The professor’s guide to integrating writing, critical thinking, and active learning in the classroom (Second edition). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
  • Nilson, L. (2010) Teaching at its best: A research-based resource for college instructors (Third edition). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
  • Walvoord, B. E., & Anderson, V. J. (2010). Effective grading: A tool for learning and assessment in college (Second edition). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Event Management Support

Event Management Toolkit

Faculty FAQs

myUMBC, Classes and Grades

I forgot my myUMBC account password. What do I do?

  • Visit myUMBC Password Recovery.
  • Enter the information requested.
  • Verify your e-mail address.
  • Answer your security questions.
  • Password reset link (active for 24 hours) will be sent to the alternate e-mail address you provided.

How do I submit grades? When are grades due?

View these step-by-step directions, including screen shots, on how to View Your Grading Roster (PDF). View the Grading Schedule from the Registrar’s Office for grade submission deadlines.

How do I view my course roster and teaching schedule?

Learn more about Viewing a Course Roster.

I need to change a student's grade. What is the process?

Please contact Caitlin Scheidegger (cscheid1@umbc.edu) to begin the process. Forms must be completed on-site at UMBC-Shady Grove in person before being submitted to the appropriate contacts on main campus. Please also review the revised grade change procedure effective June 1, 2014.

When is it appropriate to assign a grade of an “I” or to give an “Incomplete?”

A grade of “I” may not be awarded unless specifically requested by a student. Should a student ask questions about an incomplete grade option please keep the following factors in mind:

  • An incomplete grade should only be considered under exceptional circumstances for course work that has been qualitatively satisfactory but, for reasons beyond the student’s control, cannot be completed on time.
  • Generally, an incomplete grade is granted when only a small portion of work is remaining to complete the course.
  • An incomplete grade should not be granted early in the semester. If an incomplete grade is requested up through the 10th week of the semester, the student should be advised to consider a course drop or course withdrawal depending on the timing.
  • If an incomplete grade is granted, the student should not re-register for or participate unofficially in the course in a later term as a means to makeup the incomplete work.
  • The outstanding course work must be completed under the guidance of the original instructor by the date specified, even if the course is not offered again, the instructor is not in residence, or the student is not enrolled in the university.
  • If a grade change has not been submitted by the date grades are due at the end of the regular semester following the one in which the “I” was issued, a grade of “F” will be awarded automatically, unless the instructor requests a one-time, one semester extension of the “I” grade by submitting an RT Help Ticket to the Registrar’s Office.

I need to assign an "incomplete" to a student this semester? What steps should I take moving forward?

Please first review UMBC’s Incomplete Policy. Then, follow the listed steps:

  • Give student a grade of “Incomplete” on the grade roster.
  • Set up a contract with student to complete the work (see sample here).
  • Provide necessary contact information so student can stay in touch in order to complete the work. Student must complete the work by the end of the next academic semester or the grade defaults to an “F”.
  • When the student completes the work, contact Caitlin Scheidegger at cscheid1@umbc.edu to complete a change of grade form.


Where do I submit my textbook information for the upcoming semester?
Submit your textbook information using the form on the link provided. Please e-mail the UMBC-Shady Grove Graduate Assistant, at sgga@umbc.edu if you are need of a desk copy as well. Our GA will e-mail you when your desk copy arrives.

How do I place a book on course reserve at the USG Priddy Library?
Follow the instructions provided by the USG Priddy Library on Requesting to Add Items to Course Reserves (PDF).

How do I request examination books and/or Scantron forms?
Please e-mail the UMBC-Shady Grove Graduate Assistant, at sgga@umbc.edu at least three days in advance with your specific request. Materials will be placed in your mailbox for pick-up.

Academic Policies and Procedures

What is UMBC’s policy on final examinations?
Please see section 14.15 of the faculty handbook for final examination policies.

My class will be conducting research with human subjects this semester. How do I receive IRB approval? Do I need IRB approval?
Recently, UMBC has updated their policies and procedures on Institutional Review Board approval. Please visit their website for more instruction. Any questions can be directed to your Program Director or Tim Sparklin at 410-455-2737 or sparklin@umbc.edu.

Where can I find information on Academic Integrity policies and/or forms for reporting academic misconduct?
Learn more about UMBC’s Academic Integrity policies, tools, and resources to prevent and educate, and instructions on submitting reports. You can also find links at the bottom of your myUMBC Faculty Center page.

I have a student attending a course in which they are not on the course roster after the schedule adjustment period. Is this ok?
It is against university policy for a student to attend and/or participate in a course for which they are not on the course roster after the end of the schedule adjustment period. Should you be approached by a student who has not gained a seat in a course by the end of the schedule adjustment period please keep the following factors in mind:

  • A student should not be encouraged to submit a late-add petition unless failure to enroll was for a reason outside their control.
  • Failure to pay an overdue balance or having a registration block is not out of a student’s control and does not provide basis for approving a late-add petition.
  • Having access to Blackboard or having a spot on the waitlist does not constitute formal registration in a course and does not provide basis for approving a late-add petition.
  • Courses added after the end of the schedule adjustment period (even with OUE approval) may not be considered for the student’s financial aid eligibility due to federal regulations.
  • Students may incur additional charges for late registration.

On-Campus Logistics

Where can I work while on campus?
We have a faculty office available at USG located in the UMBC wing of the Camille Kendall Academic Center (Building III): III-4123. Your mailbox is located in III-4123. Students are not permitted to enter this office without faculty supervision. If a student needs to deliver something to your mailbox, please direct him/her to see a UMBC staff member in III-4159.

How do I request an exam proctor?

I moved and need to change my address. What steps do I need to take?

Faculty Events

Learn improved teaching techniques, embrace new classroom management systems and more through our many collaborative faculty events!