Academic Advising at UMBC starts with an Orientation Advisor specifically trained to help you with securing a strategic course schedule to launch your academic career. However, once you begin your study here at UMBC-Shady Grove, you will then have the opportunity to work with a faculty member and/or professional advisor affiliated with your chosen academic discipline. Before making your advising appointment, check your registration eligibility. Please see a list of advisors per program listed below:

Undergraduate Advisors

Political Science
Social Work
Translational Life Science Technology (TLST)

If you have questions or concerns about advising services, please contact Abigail Granger, Coordinator of Undergraduate Recruitment and Advising,, 301-738-6281.

Graduate Advisors

Data Science
Geographic Information Systems
I/O Psychology

Important note: While one faculty member or professional advisor will provide registration clearance for you each semester, we encourage students to seek additional academic and career planning from various members of the UMBC academic and administrative community. High-Performing UMBC students gather information, recommendations and guidance from a host of faculty, advisors and administrators- keen to help them maximize the opportunities and resources available at UMBC. Additionally, we encourage students to actively pursue conversations and meetings with academic advisors, faculty, and staff throughout the entire academic year. Advising sessions about registration are certainly important, yet on-going conversations and planning about graduate school, independent study, and/or gaining entry into a particular profession can (and should) take place at various times and in various formats (including email, telephone, etc.).

Advising Guides

Please use the advising guides below and our degree audit help video to help you prepare for your advising meetings and to track your progress throughout your time at UMBC-Shady Grove:

Undergraduate Programs

Graduate Programs

General Education Requirements and Waivers

Foreign Language

UMBC requires students to complete a foreign language through the intermediate level (for Montgomery College, this is the 201-level). American Sign Language qualifies.

Substitution options:

Physical Education (PE) Waivers

On November 13, 2018, as an information item, the Faculty Senate was presented with a draft resolution that would support an administrative proposal to eliminate the current physical education requirement. On December 11, 2018, the Faculty Senate approved the resolution. Below are anticipated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) regarding the resolution and its implications.

Cross-Campus Enrollment

Cross-campus enrollment is an option available to students to provide enrollment flexibility between the Main Campus in Catonsville and the Shady Grove campus in Rockville. While students may take advantage of the cross-campus enrollment option at any point throughout the academic year, priority enrollment consideration is based on a student's primary campus designation. The processes and procedures to request enrollment vary depending upon the semester/session. Please view the catalog for instructions HERE.