As UMBC continues to monitor COVID-19 closely and works to ensure the safety and well-being of our community, we recognize your continued access to academic advising support will be necessary. Therefore, following university guidance regarding COVID-19, UMBC will facilitate all academic advising remotely in preparation for the spring 2021 semester.
Remote Advising FAQs
How will I receive spring 2021 academic advising?
Spring 2021 Advance Registration for undergraduates will begin November 3rd. As a reminder, undergraduates must meet (remotely) with their academic advisor to receive clearance before registering.
Students will be offered a range of options for accessing and meeting with their academic advisor (remotely), including, but not limited to, Google Calendar, WebEx, Google Hangout Meets, email and phone. We encourage you to keep an eye out for more specific details from your academic department regarding updated advising protocols.
What can I do to prepare for my advising appointment?
- Check out your Registration Guide, complete with step by step directions on the entire advising and registration process and review your Degree Audit.
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor. Please keep an eye out for more specific details from your department or academic advisor regarding advising protocols.
- Review the Spring 2021 Schedule of Classes, available online beginning October 26, and put together a tentative schedule using the Scheduler.
- Check your myUMBC account to be sure you have no outstanding obligations that could prevent you from registering, i.e., past due balances, vaccinations, etc. If you have an administrative hold, you will have already received a myUMBC alert. Keep in mind, you can still receive advising clearance, even if you have an administrative hold.
- Consider enrolling in Winter 2021 to stay on track or get ahead. Winter 2021 registration will be available October 19.
Do you have questions regarding UMBC Academic Requirements, Regulations, and Policy?
I am planning to graduate in fall 2020 or spring 2021. Is there additional information I need to know?
If you are planning to graduate in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, please review the Eligibility for Undergraduate Commencement Participation and Honors Eligibility Requirements.
Additional Remote Learning Information and Resources
USG Information and Resources
USG COVID-19 Updates
Updated regularly with important news, dates, and changes.
USG Community Resources During COVID-19
Resources for both currents students in programs at USG and for any community members who need them.
USG Priddy Library Access
An overview of the availability of and access to library programs, and services during this time.
Knowing Your USG Resources
Do you want to get involved in student orgs? Learn more about services offered by the library? Don't know what you don't know? Start with this quick reference guide to learn more about the service centers and support services at the USG!
UMBC Information and Resources
UMBC’s COVID-19 Response
UMBC is committed to keeping our community safe, healthy, and informed. Please check this website for updated information on COVID-19. This website will be updated as information changes.
UMBC Tips for Academic Success during COVID-19
Tips on staying on schedule, staying connected and staying organized.
Academic Success Center Business Continuity Plan
Information is available at this link about how to access Academic Success Center Services through alternative formats during the campus response to COVID-19
Student Business Services
SBS is the office that bills students, collects tuition and fees and issues student refunds. Contact them with questions regarding billing and payments.
University Health Services
During the remote instruction period, University Health Services will be providing services remotely using phone and audio/video services weekdays from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Students who have not submitted their mandatory immunization form will be given an extension of August 31st.
External Information and Resources
All Xfinity WiFi Public Hotspots are now open to everyone
Free Textbook Access
Many publishers are offering free access to books and other materials: