To apply for accommodations, please following the instructions below:
1. Submit the Request For Services Intake online with a copy of your documentation of disability/diagnosis attached/uploaded from an appropriately qualified provider. Eligibility must be established before services can be provided.
Disability documentation should reflect the following:
- The credentials of the evaluator
- A specific diagnosis on the evaluator’s/agency letterhead
- The diagnostic methodology used/assessment method
- The functional impact on the individual
- The expected progression or stability of the disability
- Current and past accommodations, services, and/or treatment plan
- Specific recommendations for academic or housing accommodations
If you are requesting accommodations due to a temporary condition or medical injury, you can download the Temporary Condition/Injury Form for medical verification.
2. If you cannot submit your supporting documentation through our online system, please contct the Office of Student Disability Services at disAbility@umbc.edu.
3. Once the registration form and documentation are received, they will be reviewed by the SDS Disability Specialist. Please allow up to 2 weeks processing time as we have many files to review. Once your eligibility for services is approved, you will receive instructions to schedule an intake appointment. This can be done any time after your eligibility is approved. For Shady Grove students, this intake can be done via phone.
At the intake appointment you will discuss:
- Accommodations and services
- Campus and local resources
- SDS policies and procedures
- Student responsibilities
4. If accommodations are approved, you will receive an email from Dr. Ashley Waters with next steps.
UMBC at Shady Grove works closely with the Office of Student Disability Services (SDS) on the UMBC main campus to provide services for registered Shady Grove students with disabilities.
Services are provided for any student with a documented disability who qualifies under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA, as amended) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act who requests and are eligible for accommodation(s) based on the functional limitations and impact of their disability.
Students who would like to utilize accommodations and support services must register with the SDS office through submission of disability documentation and engaging in an interactive intake. Please note that accommodations are not retroactive and begin once an SDS Disability Specialist has approved a student for accommodations.
The following link to the SDS website describes the services available to students registered with SDS and also provides additional links and detailed information for students with disabilities.
A Semester Accommodation Request must be completed for each semester a student is enrolled and seeking accommodations. The Semester Accommodation Request can be completed and submitted to SDS through Accommodate below.
For more information, visit the Disability Support and Test Proctoring Services site.
To submit or retrieve your notes, please click here to log into Accommodate.
Want to explore other notetaking alternatives? Consider Sonocent! Learn more
The Student Disability Services office will be on-site at Shady Grove in III-4153 on the following dates in Spring 2018:
- Tuesday, July 31st from 12 - 3 pm
- Thursday, August 16th from 10- 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, August 21st from 11- 3 pm
- Thursday, September 27th from 11 - 3 pm
- Monday, October 29th from 11-3 pm
Students can request a virtual appointment during the summer semester by contacting disABILITY@umbc.edu