Admissions: Master's Degree
The application deadline for Spring 2018 is December 15
Spring 2018 Classes Start: January 29
The application deadline for Fall 2018 is August 1
Fall 2018 Classes Start: August 29
- B.A. or B.S. in Geography, Computer Science or Information Systems or a bachelor’s degree in a related field with GIS-related work experience.
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the MPS program provisionally or to the Graduate Certificate program.)
- GRE is not required.
- International applicants should refer to the International Admission Page for special admission information.
Applications for the Master's program are accepted for the Fall and Spring semesters. To apply, complete a Degree-Seeking UMBC Graduate School Application and use program name: GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (MPS)
- Apply online
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of three references into “References” section
- Submit Experience Form as an attachment in “Additional Admissions Documents” section
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application should include the following documents: (Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.)
- Completed application including residency form (residency form determines in-state tuition eligibility)
- Two letters of recommendation (if you choose to forego the online option, please see the paper form here)
- Statement of academic goals
- Experience Form
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- Non-refundable application fee ($50 online)
All application documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Geographic Information Systems
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
If you require further assistance, please contact Rickeysha Jones or call 301-738-6285 .