Admissions: International Student
The application deadline for Fall 2019 is August 1st
Fall 2019 Classes Start: August 28, 2019
The following information is provided for international applicants interested in applying to the Masters of Professional Studies in Data Science. International applicants should read the information provided carefully prior to applying.
International Student Admission Requirements
All students need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in in any subject*
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale, or equivalent. Applicants with grades on a scale other than 4.0, will be evaluated based on standards for the country of their degree
- Prospective students must have also completed the following courses at the undergraduate or graduate level:
- One semester of statistics
- Calculus I
- Candidates must have academic or professional experience equivalent to basic programming courses.
- Students who do not have formal undergraduate programming courses or on-the-job training are encouraged to use MOOCs or Khan Academy.
- GRE scores are not required for admission.
- English proficiency scores:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores: 90 iBT
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores: Minimum score 6.5
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic scores: 61
- Scores must be less than 2 years old.
*If you have a three-year degree versus a four-year degree, your transcript will be reviewed to determine whether you have met the necessary pre-requisites for the program. Eligibility for admission can only be determined upon receipt of a complete application.
All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application.
International applications are accepted for the fall and spring semester. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the semester for which they are applying. To apply, complete a Graduate Degree Application and use program name: Data Science (MPS)
- Apply online
- Select proposed program Data Science >> Data Science (MPS)
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two. Put N/A in third line)
- Complete residency information
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request for english proficiency scores must be sent by the Testing Center. UMBC code: 5385.
All documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Data Science
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250 U.S.A.
Your application packet should include the following documents:
- Completed graduate degree application (including residency form). Use program code: PRST-DATA
- Two letters of recommendation (if you choose to forego the online option, please see the paper form here)
- Personal statement outlining the student’s goals and expectations of the program. Statement should include applicant’s background, qualifications, career experience, and any additional pertinent information
- Current resume
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL scores* forwarded to UMBC by ETS - UMBC's institutional code is 5835
- Application fee ($50 online)
*Please note: All international students are required to submit TOEFL scores unless you attended a university in an English-speaking country or hold an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution. IELTS or PTE are accepted in substitution for TOEFL scores.
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, please include the following additional documents with your application.
- Copy of valid passport
- Certified bank statement or bank verification letter from financial sponsor showing a minimum of $29,000 (USD) in available funds.
- Letter from financial sponsor stating they will be responsible for all living expenses and school-related expenses for the duration of your stay at UMBC.
Send these documents after receipt admission acceptance. Note: I-20 is processed after formal acceptance into the program.
All immigration related questions should be addressed to International Education Services by phone at (410) 455-2624 or by e-mail, email@example.com.
- The program does not offer financial aid or graduate assistantships.
- Tuition information: Helpful hints about tuition and paying your bill: here
- Student Business Services: Billing, tuition, fees, payment options: here