Admissions: Post-Baccalaureate Certificates
The application deadline for Fall 2019 is August 1st
Fall 2019 Classes Start: August 28, 2019
There are no specific constraints on the type of undergraduate degree required for this certificate. In general, applicants should understand the basic concepts and operation of the Internet, networked information systems, and have a basic familiarity with information security concepts and/or practices. These general requirements usually can be satisfied with one or more courses in related areas or through documented professional experience. Those with a background in computer science or information systems, or those with significant professional experience in the IT industry, are encouraged to apply.
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Applicants with an appropriate level of knowledge and professional experience in the IT or cybersecurity fields are strongly encouraged to apply.)
- International students who earned a degree outside of the U.S. are required to submit English proficiency scores.
- TOEFL score requirements: 597 (Written), 247 (computerized), 99 (iBT). Scores must be less than 2 years old.
- iBT Score Breakdown: Writing (23), Listening (23), Reading (25), Speaking (28, 23 acceptable if have 2 years' work experience in supervisory or management position in the U.S.)
- IELTS Score: Minimum score of 7.5 required
Applications for the post-baccalaureate certificates are accepted for the Fall & Spring semesters. To apply, complete a UMBC Graduate Application for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Programs.
- Apply online - Select Application for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program
Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit resume to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Recommendations are optional. Please put N/A in these fields if you choose not to enter names of references.
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates
The following information is required to process your application:
- Completed application including residency form (determines in-state tuition eligibility)
- Use Program code PSCB for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Professional Studies: Cybersecurity Strategy & Policy
- Use Program code PSCO for Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Professional Studies: Cybersecurity Operations
- Statement outlining the student's goals and expectations in the program. This is an opportunity for applicants to further explain their background and qualifications for the program and provide any additional information about themselves or their career experience that they feel will benefit the evaluation of their application.
- Current resume
- Official transcript(s) from each college university attended
- Non-refundable application fee ($50 online)
All application documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, Certificate in Cybersecurity
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
If you require further assistance, please contact Office of Professional Programs or call 301-738-6081.